CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Small Pond near Monroe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cd662

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Small Pond near Monroe Reply with quote

Decided to do some fishing in a small pond for eels or bullhead. The conditions seemed perfect - recent rain to stir up the water, adequate current, and an overcast day. I managed 3 small crappie and 4 bullhead. Surprisingly, most of the bullhead were not on a traditional weighted setup - I was using a hook and nightcrawler halves with no weight and working them like a soft plastic off the bottom. Tons of fun on 4 pound test! Water was a bit cloudy but cool. Also had a crappie take off with my stringer Shocked Overall, a beautiful night for fishing.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You actually try to catch eels? Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:

I was going to ask the same lol
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:

Hi Phil,

Hmmmm? Something else for you to add to your list of things to catch ! LOL Laughing

SeaDog1
rxpxtx

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eel actually grills up pretty nicely. Caught one in New Hampshire that was 3ft and as fat as my wrist. We cooked it up on the fire in a Pabst Blue Ribbon marinade (pour one can of beer on one eel) and we all loved it. 'Course....we had bass fished all day, and were bullhead fishing from the campsite at this point. Everything was well marinated.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really looking for larger eels. As mentioned, they are surprisingly tasty. I also enjoy catching them a lot. Eels are one of my favorite fish from a scientific point of view because of how strange they are. They're catadramous, go through a body metamorphosis, exist in a juvenile stage that is worth thousands of dollars to the Asian markets, have an uncanny sense of direction (eels kept in personal fish tanks are always trying to escape), and progress to a pre-spawn state not entirely unlike that of salmon. They have the ability to eat fish larger than their mouths by opening them up wide, and I believe I saw some research that showed their mouths have a minor suction effect as well. This will definitely sound out there but there's even a way to put eels "to sleep" temporarily. Cover the eel's eyes with a towel and let it struggle for a bit, and then lay the eel out on it's side. Run your fingers down the length of the eel (Yes, I know what this sounds like Shocked ) and do it repeatedly. Eventually, the eel will be completely calm and you can move it without any issue.

I never tried cooking anything in Pabst. It's like fizzy water in it's normal state so I don't know if there's any flavor it could lend to fish Wink
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My uncle "Tony' (100% Italian) use to smoke eel (traditional) up for Christmas Eve family supper!
Always a big favorite!

SeaDog1
rxpxtx

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...so the PBR went on the eel 'cause it was on fire. I'm defending you and I get shit for my "marinade"...geeze! I know for a fact they go to sleep when you smack their head on the dock. You CAN actually rub them to sleep....you just have to spoon with them a little while first.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxpxtx wrote:
OK...so the PBR went on the eel 'cause it was on fire. I'm defending you and I get shit for my "marinade"...geeze! I know for a fact they go to sleep when you smack their head on the dock. You CAN actually rub them to sleep....you just have to spoon with them a little while first.

Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL PECo! I'll keep that in mind on my next adventure Wink And in all seriousness I know that beer of any sort if popular for cooking. I've been meaning to try cooking with Guinness but it's too expensive for me to waste on cooking and one's results seem to vary too much when you buy those nonsensical widget bottles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: