CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Batterson Park Pond 05/09
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Batterson Park Pond 05/09 Reply with quote

I fished Batterson Park Pond from 12:00 pm to 4:30 pm. When I launched in The Other Woman, the sky was totally overcast, the air was wonderfully cool and there was very little wind. There was only one other boat on the water for most of the time that I was out there, although I saw an occasional kayak or two. The water temperature stayed between 58 and 59 degrees. The water was slightly murky, with visibility down only a couple of feet. My plan was to troll for walleye and that's exactly what I did. I had an absolute blast! Very Happy I trolled a Perch Rapala Shallow Shad Rap SSR-7 and a Bluegill Rapala Shad Rap SR-7. I used my fish finder to stay as close to the outside edges of weedbeds, structure and the shoreline as I could. I tried to stay in six to eight feet of water and cruise at 1-1/2 miles per hour. I boated the first fish in 10 minutes and had six fish of five different species in 1-1/2 hours:

The sixth fish was another white perch. I would have had seven fish of six different species, if I hadn't lost another fish. After I boated the yellow perch with the Perch Rapala, I threw it out behind the boat. It floated there as I put the rod in one of my Scotty rod holders. As I adjusted the holder, the rod bent over, which got my attention because it was one of my old Medium Heavy 6'6" Ugly Stiks! Shocked Right after I grabbed the rod out of the holder, a really nice largemouth bass leaped into the air 25 feet behind the boat. I reeled it over to the side of the boat and saw that it was about a three pounder. It had the lure's front treble hook in its mouth and the rear treble hook in the side is its face. But as I reached down to lip it, it took one more shaking leap out of the water and, somehow, came free of both hooks! Sonogab*!@# I hate freakin' treble hooks! Twisted Evil I pedaled back to the ramp and took at short break at 1:45 pm, before heading back out. After a couple of more yellow perch, I boated a small largemouth bass while trolling past one of the rare laydowns in the pond:

Then I got my second walleye:

After a third walleye, of which I accidentally deleted the photo Rolling Eyes, a couple of yellow perch, a fourth walleye that I released without photographing, because it thrashed the rear treble into one of its eyes, and another yellow perch, I boated a fifth walleye:

Then I caught the lunker black crappie:

At 3:30 pm, I got a sixth walleye, which is my personal record for one outing:

My fish finder battery began to die at 4:00 pm, so decided to check out the east side of the pond on my way back to the ramp. I boated a couple of more yellow perch as I passed the submerged island and headed to the east shore. As usual, I didn't get any action over there before I got back to the ramp:

I caught a total of 20 fish, all while trolling. The Perch Rapala Shallow Shad Rap SSR-7 out-fished the Bluegill Rapala Shad Rap SR-7 by at least 11 to nine (some of the photos were inconclusive), but I'm pretty sure that the Bluegill Rapala got most of the walleye, probably because it swims a little deeper than the Perch Rapala. I've always liked Rapalas for trolling but, now, I'm starting to drink the Kool-Aid that Michael always drinks. Very Happy Once again, however, I failed to get a keeper walleye. Those 17-1/2 inchers are killing me. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by PECo on Fri May 11, 2012 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
JimiChanga

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW You da MAN!!!

Let me know when you need some space filled in your boat & I'll try to keep up with you and them walleyes. Wink

That my friend is an AWESOME day!!!

JC
hila2006

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Phil, if we get some time this weekend we're thinking of yakking in there. Sunday is supposed to be the least windy. You'll get a keeper walleye one of those trips Phil, you deserve it bud.
JJay

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<--- Needs a WALLEYE
PECo

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to brave the winds for a bit, this evening.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job Phil! WTG with the Rapalas!

The SSR-7 in Perch pattern has been my #1 freshwater lure for years. It has caught me more largemouths than any other and have gone to town trolling for yellows and crappie. It even caught me my PB largemouth that was a size from Florida or Japan!
Michael

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like something took a swipe at that perch. I would think a walleye or some bird.
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome report, good job! No rock bass?! Shocked
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, be careful. i hear your odds of bein shot are pretty good there. never happened to me, but SOMEONE mentioned it... Laughing

as always, great job. only fished it from the boat once, and got nothin. no one did. water clarity was terrible, visibility near zero. terrible first impression

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They realy did a good job opening up the boat launch area made it a lot safer for you and your vehiciles.
Now I just wish they would take time to fix the 7 inch drop in the ramp at waters edge . Phil Sunday at batterson is looking good for me aswell. Today got buggered clogged pipe in bastement had me chaseing corn fed sewer trout around allday hopefuly plumber will be here tomorrow to free up sunday for me. Hila looking forward to possably seeing you there aswell .

P.S great report All .....Hail !!!.........Phil King of the Rockies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: