CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Topwaters!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XploZion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Topwaters! Reply with quote

Went out fishing yesterday and bought a new top water lure on a whim. I never would have thought theyd love it this much in such cold water! i fished it in a very shallow cove thats constantly in the sunlight because i figured the water would be a little warmer. i caught 11 bass all decently sized besides a few. Not to mention they are my first topwater bass EVER!

Little baby:

Decent size bass:

Id post more pictures but i wanted to focus on fishing while they were hitting like crazy! next time ill slow down and take some more pictures.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topwater is fun isn't it? Congrats on your first topwater bass!

Topwater has been working for me too in shallow weedy areas. Playing topwater with a Rapala Shallow Shad Rap SSR-7 is what bass and pickerel are going for at Twin Brooks Park.

Last edited by Michael on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Topwater frogs have started to produce, too, if the weeds get too thick for your popper in that shallow cove.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Sweet! Topwater frogs have started to produce, too, if the weeds get too thick for your popper in that shallow cove.

the frog bite is my favorite!
XploZion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:

I have always heard that topwater frogs are amazingly fun. i think next time i head to my normal fishing spot ill pick up a few from the bait shop on the way there. any recommendations on color/size?
Aroz

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use that same Excalibur popper when i'm not using frogs - its an excellent lure!
PECo

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XploZion wrote:
PECo wrote:

I have always heard that topwater frogs are amazingly fun. i think next time i head to my normal fishing spot ill pick up a few from the bait shop on the way there. any recommendations on color/size?

Pick up some Gamakatsu No. 4 EWG (i.e., Extra Wide Gap) Hooks and Bullfrog patterned Zoom Horny Toads (if you can even find them!). Since you'll have to set the hook in weeds or pads, you'll need >20 pound test braided line. I prefer 50+ pound test Power Pro braid. When a fish hits the frog, wait before setting the hook (e.g., count to five). Reel in any slack line and set the hook vertically. Whoo Hoo! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill try it! i have 30lb braid on my bait caster that iv never really put to good use.
pdcrack

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XploZion wrote:
Ill try it! i have 30lb braid on my bait caster that iv never really put to good use.

30lb should be plenty if your fishing just pads. Only reason you would need more is if you were in some really thick structure like water chestnut or something
IvanRushki

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had good luck fishing Ribbitz, they carry them at Dicks Sporting Goods. The paddle style feet have great action, work like a buzz bait on the top, and you can "swim" it as well. I've missed a hit on the surface, and then played wounded frog giving the rod tip a few twitches and the bass have come back to finish it off.

PB : 34" Northen Pike 13# Bantam Lake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: