CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Ventured out in the Cold
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Ventured out in the Cold Reply with quote

Monday I decided to kill some time after getting home from doing some volunteer work in the morning. I actually rode my bike all the way to the TTA in Trumbull near Daniels Farm Rd in the cold breezy conditions. Got there around 12:30pm.

Hiked along the Pequonnock TTA for a while and hit a number of pools and deeper stretches with no luck. Stuck with my trusty brown trout Flat Rap FLR-6. Never saw anything swirl or follow. Saw a great blue heron and a kingfisher in the same area but didn't catch anything where they were.

Later I headed down to the Pequonnock at Beardsley Park just down from the ballfields. Threw a helsinki shad Husky Jerk HJ-6 there and tried a number of different jerk and pause retrieves but never saw any flashes or had any hits.

Gave the Wonderland of Ice a few casts and then tried casting the HJ-6 underneath the Chopsey Hill Rd tunnel but nothing came out from there.

Called it a day at 4:30pm
Cd662

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, maybe you can keep a thing of nightcrawlers in your backpack? I know it's tough with the cold. I've always had MUCH better luck with bait presented in a slow manner during the winter for all fish species. Fish aren't in the same moods as they are to chase plugs in the summer. Just my 2 cents.
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cd662 wrote:
Mike, maybe you can keep a thing of nightcrawlers in your backpack? I know it's tough with the cold. I've always had MUCH better luck with bait presented in a slow manner during the winter for all fish species. Fish aren't in the same moods as they are to chase plugs in the summer. Just my 2 cents.

I was thinking that Chris. What got me to use the FLR-6 was hitting the brown at the big pool a few weeks ago with it while Harvey didn't get anything with mealies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: