CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Burr Pond 09/08
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Burr Pond 09/08 Reply with quote

I fished Burr Pond with mep21 (aka Mark), who just moved back to Connecticut. We got on the water at the boat launch ramp around 7:15 am. I said "around", because I inadvertently left my cell phone at home this morning, so I don't really know the time at which we got there. I also didn't get any photos, although Mark took some. I pedaled The Other Woman, while Mark paddled his Old Town Vapor 12XT Angler. When we launched, the south-southwest wind was blowing steadily at between five and 10 miles per hour. The water temperature hung around 74 degrees. We knew that the forecast called for increasing winds, so we decided to fish the northeast end of the pond before heading to the shelter of the coves on the southwest end of the pond. I got a hit on a wacky rigged green pumpkin/red flake five inch Senko after only three or four casts near the ramp and boated the first fish, which was a 10 inch largemouth bass. I also threw a Crappie patterned 1/2 ounce Persuader Imaged Blade Spinnerbait and a Baby Bass patterned five inch Strike King KVD Perfect Plastics Caffeine Shad. The wacky Senko got me a small chain pickerel and the spinnerbait got me a small yellow perch, before the wacky Senko got me a keeper 13 inch largemouth bass and another 10 inch largemouth bass. Meanwhile, Mark was boating fish, too, but I'll let him fill you in on that. After I had caught three different species of fish, I told Mark that I wanted to catch a sunny to complete the four fish cycle. As we left the northeast cove, we stopped to fish the last big bed of pads and I got my sunny with the wacky Senko. Whoo hoo! Very Happy We headed up the east shore of the pond and got alee of the wind on the north side of the peninsula next to the beach, where the spinnerbait got me another yellow perch. We decided to head for the smaller cove on the southwest end of the pond. I hate wasting a paddle/pedal, so I trolled the spinnerbait. It got me a 12 inch largemouth bass and a bratwurst sized chain pickerel before I got into the mouth of the cove. In the cove, the wacky Senko got me a nine inch largemouth bass and an 11 inch largemouth bass. They didn't really hit it; they gently picked it up off of the bottom in six feet of water. Fishing slowly was the key. Wink While we were in the cove, the wind died completely and the surface of the water turned to glass. When the sun peeked out a bit from behind the clouds, I could see the bottom clearly five feet down. But the clouds drifted back and the wind picked up, again, after only five minutes. Before we headed out of the cove, the wacky Senko was picked up off of the bottom by a 15 inch, one pound, seven ounce largemouth bass that turned out to be lunker. We headed down the channel toward the spillway dam. About halfway down the channel, Mark boated the last fish of the day just before the rain began to fall. He got the cycle, too! Very Happy After he checked the radar map on his cell phone and saw that the severe weather was headed our way, we headed straight back to the ramp. We were off of the water at about 1;45 pm, about 20 minutes after the rain began to fall. Welcome back to Connecticut, Mark! Very Happy

Last edited by PECo on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

LOL Laughing

SeaDog1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: