CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: Bait
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fish On!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Bait Reply with quote

Can anyone let me in on any tips to help keep my bait alive for more than a couple days, bait meaning minnows or shinners.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

OK! Need to know if the shiners are store bought or you caught/trapped them!

WHY? Because store bought shiners have been stressed and tramatized during transport since they were taken out of their breeding ponds.
Water quality that the shiners are taken from then put into different water also causes stress.
Store bought shiners thus have a short life span!!

Fresh caught/trapped local wild shiners are "much more hardy" Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

50 ft. from my back door my next door neighbor has a small (spring fed) old factory fire pond which is (Looooooaded!) with golden shiners -> Healthy and Fat Exclamation

I give them fresh fish and they let me take all the shiners I want.
THAT'S a SWEET DEAL!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Have kept dozens of them (3-5 inches) alive for "weeks" in a 5 gal. pail (in the garage where its cold) with just a periodic water change and an bubbler and adding 2 small capfuls of Hydrogen Peroxide to the water.
That's a very old trick as Hydrogen Peroxide is only water with an extra O2 molecule. Just adds more O2 to the water Exclamation

One thing you "DO NOT" want to do is feed them -> Then they'll muck up the water.
I usually keep 5-7 dozen at a time then replenish the lot when I need to.

Best info I can give you!

Best regards,
SeaDog1
Fish On!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bait I am buying is from a local bait shop, I'll have to ask them where they get their bait. You definitely shed some light on the subject and I’ll use your advise. I'll be more than happy if I can get them to stay "hardy" for at least a week.

Thanks much Seadog
bojango

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
Hi!

OK! Need to know if the shiners are store bought or you caught/trapped them!

WHY? Because store bought shiners have been stressed and tramatized during transport since they were taken out of their breeding ponds.
Water quality that the shiners are taken from then put into different water also causes stress.
Store bought shiners thus have a short life span!!

Fresh caught/trapped local wild shiners are "much more hardy" Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

50 ft. from my back door my next door neighbor has a small (spring fed) old factory fire pond which is (Looooooaded!) with golden shiners -> Healthy and Fat Exclamation

I give them fresh fish and they let me take all the shiners I want.
THAT'S a SWEET DEAL!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Have kept dozens of them (3-5 inches) alive for "weeks" in a 5 gal. pail (in the garage where its cold) with just a periodic water change and an bubbler and adding 2 small capfuls of Hydrogen Peroxide to the water.
That's a very old trick as Hydrogen Peroxide is only water with an extra O2 molecule. Just adds more O2 to the water Exclamation

One thing you "DO NOT" want to do is feed them -> Then they'll muck up the water.
I usually keep 5-7 dozen at a time then replenish the lot when I need to.

Best info I can give you!

Best regards,
SeaDog1

That hydrogen peroxide "trick" is a load of crap! If anything, you are gonna kill your shiners!!! I tried it and half of mine were dead the next morning!!!!!!
Fish On!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that sucks bojango, thanks for letting me know. Maybe I'll resort back to my high school chemistry and figure out why and try some experimenting.

I just checked Wiki about this hydrogen peroxide deal:

The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified hydrogen peroxide as a Low Regulatory Priority (LRP) drug for use in controlling fungus on fish and fish eggs. (See ectoparasite.)
Some horticulturalists and users of hydroponics advocate the use of weak hydrogen peroxide solution ("Spanish water") in watering solutions. Its spontaneous decomposition releases oxygen that enhances a plant's root development and helps to treat root rot (cellular root death due to lack of oxygen) and a variety of other pests.[20][21] There is some peer-reviewed academic research to back up some of the claims.[22]
Laboratory tests conducted by fish culturists in recent years have demonstrated that common household hydrogen peroxide can be used safely to provide oxygen for small fish.[23][24] Hydrogen peroxide releases oxygen by decomposition when it is exposed to catalysts such as manganese dioxide.

There is also a bunch of other info, I'll have to try it and see what happens
pdcrack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i figured out the problem

bojango

Rolling Eyes
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bajngo!

???? How much Hydrogen Peroxide did you put in the water.?????
If using a 1/2 full 5 gal. pail -> ("Your only suppose to use 2 small cap fulls of Hydrogen Peroxide.")
If using those smaller minow buckets 1 cap full is enough!

Question??? -> Did you use a bubbler and keep the water cold by putting the shiner bucket in an unheated area?????

Again!!!!
Hydrogen Peroxide is "JUST WATER" with an "Extra O2 molecule" Exclamation
The HP could not have killed the shiners unless you overdosed or some other factor did caused your shiners to die!

I've been doing this for decades with ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM!!!! and have kept my same shiners alive for weeks (before using them) with only a small COLD water change each week Exclamation

If you used city water, which is treated with chlorine, then it was the chlorine that killed the shiners.
YOU MUST USE SPRING WATER OR BOTTLE WATER Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

SeaDog1
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi fish on!

You did a good job finding the answers to using HP.
I also use a diluted form when planting my spring garden which helps strong root growth. Exclamation Exclamation

SeaDog1
Fish On!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far my minnows have been going strong for three days on a diet of oxygen enriched water thanks to the HP, seems to be working great.

Much Thanks To SeaDog
rrob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: keep um alive Reply with quote

we usually put them in a large cooler with an airater with the water from the bait bucket that we top off at the pond before we leave. although they are store bought,they have been lasting up to 3 weeks. make sure to check them daily and yank out the sluggish and dead ones and you will be fine
deerslayer1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: keep um alive Reply with quote

rrob wrote:
we usually put them in a large cooler with an airater with the water from the bait bucket that we top off at the pond before we leave. although they are store bought,they have been lasting up to 3 weeks. make sure to check them daily and yank out the sluggish and dead ones and you will be fine

If they are big shiners, freeze the dead ones. They make great pike bait.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sea gets an A+

deer has a good idea as well why waste the dead bait, freeze them.
Then the next time you go out either jig the dead bait or cut them up and put them on your lures treble hook.

I use pieces of minnows on my few lures when fishing for Perch, I caught bullhead as well. I am sure it will work for just about any game fish.

My buddy keeps his small minnow bucket in the refrigerator and they usually last for at least a few days without changing the water.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: freezing shiners Reply with quote

yup, my buddy freezes all his dead shiners for use as pike bait.

salts them also.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading this thread awhile back and I guess I got some things mixed up...I changed the water for my left over bait and I usually don't have a problem with my tap water but this time most of my bait went belly up for some reason. and I don't know why but I thought someone said something about baking soda so I used that and somehow most of them came back to from being on their sides. I checked this again and saw it was hp instead so I just put about a cap full in there now and they all seem to be happy! Thanks for the info it was very helpfull and saved me about $10 since they where "pike shiners".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: